25 February 2009

Sage mentor

Vincenzo sent me a Dogbert cartoon earlier and it reminded me of the sage wisdom of Dilbert, who happens to be a hero of mine. When I worked closely with the sales force in my last job, I had this posted outside my cube.

Dilbert's "Salary Theorem" states:
Scientists and Engineers can never earn as much as administrators and sales people.

This theorem can now be proved mathematically:
Given: Power = Work / Time
and, Knowledge is Power

Substituting knowledge for power, we obtain: Knowledge = Work/ Time

If Time = Money, then: Knowledge = Work/ Money

Solving this equation for money, we obtain:

Money = Work/ Knowledge

Therefore, as knowledge approaches zero, money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

Conclusion: the less you know, the more you make.

No comments: