09 February 2008

Middle name meme

Karen tagged me for a few things and I'm just trying to get caught up today. I honestly thought that things would calm down last fall after we closed up the cabin, but things just keep getting busier and busier.

Friday we went to the nature center again and my "inappropriate talker" had at least learned to raise his hand before blurting out random facts and observations. However, he's too smart for his own good in some respects. When the instructor at the nature center would ask a question, he would raise his hand, feigning to respond to what was asked, because he saw it as an opening to talk about what HE wanted to talk about. Whatever the question was he would reply, "Well, I don't know about that, but I like rockets." And, then he'd proceed to ramble on about rockets.

Lord have mercy on me, a mom ill prepared to deal with an out-maneuvering four year-old.

So, here is my middle name meme.

Again, the legalese/rules:
1. You have to post the rules before you give your answers.
2. You must list one fact about yourself beginning with each letter of your middle name. (If you don't have a middle name, use your maiden name or your mother's maiden name).
3. At the end of your blog post, you need to tag one person for each letter of your middle name. (Be sure to leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged.)

My middle name is THERESE, so here goes.

T - travel. I love to travel and have been lots of places. Now that we have kids, that isn't the case and we spend most of our time at the cabin. I do hope to go to Europe this spring. In fact, we just applied for my son's passport on Friday. One case of government efficiency. The lady at the Vital Records was very nice and we were able to get a certified copy of my son's birth certificate AND submit his passport application all at one time, one place, one visit to the counter. It was wonderful and efficient. I had blocked out three hours for the "event" and it only took 20 minutes (Granted, I had everything I needed and was totally prepared, but they didn't make us go to another counter for the passport and didn't make us take another number for the two transactions!). Holy moly rocky!

H - humor. I'm my father's daughter. I have a wacky sense of humor. I've finally embraced it. I was going to say Helvetica, as in Confoederatio Helvetica (Swiss Confederation), but that wouldn't be much fun, so humor it is.

E - One of the first of three e's I have to surmount. I'd have to say even-keeled. I don't get too emotional one way or another, don't hold grudges, don't get irrationally angry, don't get too off in la-la land. For the "T" in Therese, I almost said temper, since I have found that I do have a temper with my kids that I'm trying to overcome, but otherwise I don't really get angry and fly off the handle (Ah, the things that having kids brings out in you!)

R - realistic. I don't know why some theologians are so against pragmatism, but I think I'm pragmatic and practical. Not jadedly so. My husband thinks I have a lot of common sense, so maybe that's where it comes from....maybe not pragmatic, just realistic.

E - electrons and Einsteinium. Chemistry is my favorite subject. I do love statistics and math, but seem to have a greater natural ability for chemistry.

S - studious. I love school. I love to learn. I've been in school in some form all my life until recently since having my kids. I really miss the excitement and thrill of learning things. If I was independently wealthy, I would be in school right now, but since I don't have an employer footing the bill...

I could read/study on my own, but have learned that I can't really read a book and absorb it. I more of a tactile/kinetic learner and like to do hands-on things to learn. That's why I took the class last weekend in bread making. I had to actually make bread in a class instead of read how to do it in a book. Weird, but something just clicks in my brain if I do it instead of read it. That's why I always did really well in the lab classes in college compared to other classes.

E - everything...within reason. I like to try new things and am more of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of gal than an expert in anything. I'm not a thrill seeker, just have a variety of interests. I have never wanted to go bungy jumping or blast off into space! Not that much of everything!

Wow. That was probably the most challenging meme I've done.

Since my middle name had seven letters, I have to tag seven people. I think the number seven in the bible indicates completeness, so my seven letters should be enough :)

Guys, I'm so bad with rules. Most of the people I would tag (Vincenzo, Cathy and Terry) would rather have their eyes poked out with a sharp stick, so I will tag only a few and place very high expectations on them to conform. They are: White Stone Name Seeker, Adrienne and Tara. Since I'm kind of late to the party, ya all may have been tagged already.

Note: Nix Tara...now I know what Karen was referring to on her blog. What the...?

4 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

You can still tag Tara. just thing of all the postings fodder she will have. :-D [And now if I can get Angela to repost her Canadian Weather thing I wanted to link to in her old blog that she now still at least kept but has closed off for some reason. Did everyone move to a witness protection programme?[I'm feelin' love for da queen right now I watched excerpts from her coronation this morning froma saved youtube thing so that's why the funky spelling.)

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Swissmiss: Ouch!

You are correct. LOL!

The Digital Hairshirt said...

SwissMiss,

I confess, when I lived for two years im Schweiz, I would see the "CH" sticker on cars and think to myself, "Cheese Head . . ."!

swissmiss said...

Digi:
I hate to think what my brother would make up for the CH sticker!

We just taught my four year-old that cheese heads live in Wisconsin. So now he knows that his grandparents are cheese heads. Since our cabin is in WI, he considers us part-time cheese heads :)