20 September 2008

Stolen things memes

Yes, I swiped these from Father Erik who stole them himself from others. It's rare that I venture west to his great blog, but he's out of town and I had a minute and thought to myself that I haven't done a meme in awhile.

First the "book readin' meme." I don't think I'm all that well-read, so here goes nothin'

Basically, the idea is to bold the books you've read and highlight the books you'd like to read.

1.Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien - I own them and will read them to my children some day
3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6. The Bible – part of it anyway
7. Wuthering Heights - Bronte
8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
9. His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman
10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
11. Little Women - Louisa M. Alcott - own it and will read to my kids
12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14. Complete Works of Shakespeare - not hardly, some anyhoo
15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien - will read to my kids
17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
19. The Time Traveller's Wife
20. Middlemarch - George Eliot
21. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell, never saw the movie in its entirety either
22. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
23. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy - own it and will read some day before I die
25. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh - I fear Karen will kill me if I don't read this
27. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - parts
28. Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
30. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame - own it and will read to kids
31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy - saw the movie, so need to read the book
32. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis - most books of the series
34. Emma - Jane Austen
35. Persuasion - Jane Austen
36. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
37. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
38. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
39. Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
40. Animal Farm - George Orwell

41. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - saw the movie which was enough for me
42. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
43. A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
44. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
45. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery - own it and will read to my kids
46. Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
47. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
48. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
49. Atonement - Ian McEwan - saw the movie
50. Life of Pi - Yann Martel
51. Dune - Frank Herbert - parts
52. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
53. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
54. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
55. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
56. A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
57. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
58. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
59. Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
60. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
61. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
62. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
63. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
64. Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
65. On The Road - Jack Kerouac - I knew a bookseller who had a passion for Kerouac so am interested in what all the fuss is, he appears to be a nut IMHO
66. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

67. Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding - the movie was enough
68. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
69. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
70. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
71. Dracula - Bram Stoker
72. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett - own it and will read to my kids
73. Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
74. Ulysses - James Joyce
75. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
76. Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
77. Germinal - Emile Zola
78. Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
79. Possession - AS Byatt
80. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
81. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
82. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
83. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
84. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
85. A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
86. Charlotte's Web - EB White
87. The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
88. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
89. The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
90. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
91. The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
92. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
93. Watership Down - Richard Adams
94. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
95. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
96. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
97. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
98. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
9. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
100.The Outsiders



Who-What-Where Meme

1. President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963 - Not born yet, parents not even married for another six months

2. England's World Cup Semi Final v Germany - 4 July 1990 - I vaguely remember this because we had just returned from a trip to Australia where soccer was on TV 24/7. I remember Germany being in it, but England? Hmph.

3. Margaret Thatcher's resignation - 22 November 1990 - Being a Reagan baby, I liked her. Can't remember her resigning though. Gosh.

4. Princess Diana's death - 31 August 1997 - I was painting the hall closet in our house in Seattle. Thought her passing was kind of surreal.

5. Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001 - I was at work and on the phone with some British ex-pats in Hong Kong trying to figure out some equipment specs for a huge proposal. Pretty soon, the office had a TV on and everyone was in the conference room watching the coverage.

6. The election of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger to the papacy - 19 April 2005 - I was pregnant with my daughter, at home with my husband watching the coverage and was so certain they would pick ANYONE besides Cardinal Ratzinger. I would've bet my life savings it wasn't going to be him. When he was selected I started clapping and cheering. Viva la Papa!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the day Papa was elected. I never expected they would choose him and I just lept off the sofa (not bad for an old cripple) yelling on top of my voice! Hehehe.
The neighbours must have wondered what on earth had happened.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Do you mind adding my blog to your links?

I will add yours..

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.