08 September 2008

Tiger by the tail


Today is the official "First Day of School."

It's been a busy summer and I know I haven't had much time to post much to my blog or visit everyone else's blog. With school starting, I don't know how I'll find time to even get the laundry done (convenient excuse I might just use when hubby is out of socks!). Please bear with me as I adjust to this strange new world.

Hard to believe my son is actually old enough to start school. It's a weird dichotomy because it seems like he's always been a part of the family, but then I still see him as the little guy we brought home from the hospital.

Now that some of the neighbor kids are starting school, I'm realizing how much I'm really a homeschooling mom at heart. It's hard to describe. I just don't see myself being comfortable, especially at this stage, with someone else who doesn't share my goals, ideals, morals and perspectives, teaching my son. Maybe not the most rational thought I've ever had, and I'm certainly not saying all teachers are bad (I have plenty of them in my family), but I honestly cannot see who would be better to instruct my son. Having just spent five years with the talkative little bundle of energy, I think I have some shred of insight about how to teach him.

I'm sure it will become abundantly clear in short order if I'm cut out for this homeschooling thing. Please keep us in your prayers as we start this school year.

Fr. Solanus Casey, ora pro nobis.

No comments: