Karen had to go and tag me and pull me out of my Thanksgiving- and homeschool-induced stupor. I know I've been a bad blogger lately by not posting much or visiting the blogs of blogger friends, but I had to clean the house well because everyone was going to be here and somehow they always find an excuse to look in closets and cupboards and drawers, so everything has to be clean.
And, my homeschool friends may think it a tad anal, but I had scheduled the time off over Thanksgiving to plan the second half of the year's curriculum. I know some of the mom's are blessed with the ability to wing it day-in and day-out, but I need a plan -- I need to chart a course, or if I can't see where I'm going, I'll never get there. Phonics and math are at whatever pace my son can handle, although I do have the math broken out to have an idea of where we need to be to finish Level A (RightStart Math) this year. History needs planning to find the books I want to use, piece-meal them out over the unit we are studying and planning of the various hands-on activities.
But, Karen didn't ask about why I've been in seclusion, she tagged me for this meme, so let's get on with it.
Six things that make me happy
1. Family - I was blessed to have had the childhood I did. A great big, happy Irish clan that honestly got along and sincerely loved (and even liked!) one another. Hubby's family is a challenge, but I think God is using both of sides to make the other better. Having Thanksgiving at my home this year, I think, really tempered their brash ways for an hour or so. Everyone got along, no politics, no football. There is hope! And, there was a rumor that my MIL had voted for McCain. For a few days, I almost thought I could hug her! Unfortunately, it was just a rumor.
2. Faith - Where would I be with out my faith. Comforting, edifying, educating, correcting, humbling, inspiring...
3. Friends - Thank goodness for good friends, especially good Catholic friends.
4. Time for quasi-intellectual pursuits - Yes, I love Jeopardy, Suduko, crossword puzzles, researching genealogy, and even now learning the things I didn't learn in Kindergarten! Don't tell my homeschool friends, but I saw that Saxon Math had several placement tests on their website for high school math...I did all four of them one morning. Nod your heads; I'm a geek.
5. Being at the cabin - Makes me happy because the kids can be kids, mom can turn the reigns over to dad and veg. No TV, no phone, no computer.
6. My kids - OK, when they're sleeping...kidding! When I combed my daughter's hair this morning and said, "There's my pretty princess," she turned around and said to me, "You're a pretty princess too." It's good their manic ways are balanced out with their gosh darn cuteness. But if my son does get me a Power Ranger for Christmas, I won't think that is so cute...unless it's the Red Power Ranger.
BTW: Six is my favorite number...Karen dislikes it. But, then she likes odd numbers over evens, so six didn't even have a chance.
I tag Cathy, Vincenzo, Ray, Chris, Mum of 6 Shell, and Christine from Maryland (who doesn't have a blog but can play along if she's up to it and place answers in the combox). Although I'd wager 4 of the 6 won't play along, the party poopers!