08 June 2010

Priest spotting


The kids and I were at McDonald's last week and a priest (Father Gj, who I only recognized because of his blog and Theology on a stick) sat at the next table. While it was nice to see a priest out for lunch in blacks, I don't know if I want the kids thinking McDonald's is a holy place to go for lunch or a place for priest spotting. Although, I am in favor of anything that distracts the kids from wanting a Happy Meal.

At this point, my son doesn't want to be a priest, he wants to be a mystery solver. Arguably, there's some overlap.

There should be a calendar, "Fast Food Fathers"

6 comments:

Chris said...

I think you should tell your son about G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown! I'm not sure you should let him all of the stories yet (some of them are kind of creepy!) but there are probably a few that are kid-friendly.

Bede

swissmiss said...

Thanks for the idea, Bede. I have the complete Father Brown reader or a title close to that, on the shelf. I've read some of it, but will dig it out once we get over our Redwall phase.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Don't forget Fr. Dowling, and there have been priests on Jeopardy! (I suspect that the show is a hot-bed of secret Catholicism from the frequency of Catholic subjects that appear on the show, and I think Alex is a French-Canuck too!).

swissmiss said...

You are a conspiracy theorist! Is Jeopardy still on TV? Yeah, I should know if it is or not, but don't watch enough to know one way or the other. I'd love to see Father Mitch Pacwa on Jeopardy, one of yer own Jebbies. I suspect he could kick all of our butts, especially considering that he wears cowboy boots.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

"Holy place to go for lunch" LOL! Nah, that's Cecil's-which we are overdue to go to again!

swissmiss said...

Cecil's!!!