13 June 2007

Ah, those pesky Scandihoovians

For all my Scandinavian friends, it's almost time, once again, for the great Nordic Fest near Luther College in Iowa.

Like I've said in the past, I am NOT of Scandinavian descent. Some how I managed to stumble into their festivities a few years ago when I was in the area researching my stout German heritage. It was the hottest, most gosh-darn-awful, humid, nasty weekend of the summer and all the Scandihoovians in the Midwest had descended on the town like a truck load of smelly lutefisk. There were no hotel rooms. None. In the middle of no-where Iowa.

My husband and I were too tired to drive much further, so I suggested trying Luther College to see if they might have a dorm room available. Yup, ya sure dey do. Holy bratwurst! A good Catlick Kraut amongst all those Scandy Lute-erns.

Well, our fine accomodations included a room with two plywood "bunks," a bath down the hall and no air conditioning. It was the most miserable night I have ever had. There was no breeze, nothing. Just heat and Scandihoovians.

Happily, I will not be joining them this year. However, I can understand if you want to be amongst your people. Get your hotel rooms booked early or you just might be stuck in a dorm room near a cranky Kraut.

The Nordic Fest is July 26, 27, & 28, 2007
In Decorah, Iowa, just a troll's stroll into Iowa across the MN border.
Velkommen Friends...Nein, Auf Wiedersehn, meine Norske Freunde. Machs gut!

No comments: