This weekend my husband and I are taking the kids and going "Up North" to stay with my husband's father's cousin (that would be my husband's first cousin once removed). I don't really know these folks and they live a hellishly far way away. They live somewhere up around the Iron Range, not a place I frequent if I can help it, and not nearly as close as our cabin in Northern WI. But, we are going. My husband really wants to go since he has a small and very unclose family that he wants to get to know better. I have a large and too close family. So, to honor my husband's (insane) wishes, I have to pack just about everything we own and remember to always have a smile on my face! Oy.
10 things I will try to remember this weekend:
1. Stay away from mosquitos and deer flies, especially ones big enough to fly off with one of the kids
2. Stay away from poison ivy
3. It's only for the weekend
4. They really are nice people and hubby's family isn't that big that we will have to do this many more times
5. Keep the kids away from just about everything in the not-childproofed home
6. Ask if they have a place they want me to throw dirty diapers, goopey kid things, etc.
7. Try not to yell at the kids/husband all the time or risk being thought of as a bad mom/wife
8. Don't drink any alcohol, even if the situation is desperate and seems to require it
9. Kids will be kids, husbands aren't afforded same consideration
Obviously, I'll be away from blogging for the weekend. Have a good weekend and say a little prayer (or two) for me, will ya?
Blessed Óscar Arnulfo Romero y Galdámez, Martyr
10 hours ago