Jarring, shocking and even mundane, all these events happened in my family recently.
* My little baby brother, all 6'4 and 225 pounds of lean muscle, turned 42.
* I met a first-cousin who was back visiting from California who had moved away a very long time ago. He was shocked when I introduced myself to him, never knowing my father had married and had kids. "I thought Uncle X was a bachelor!" Well, he was until he married at the age of 40!
* My aunt celebrated her 90th birthday and members of my father's disjointed, dysfunctional family showed up and everyone had a pleasant day.
* My cousin's husband, a life-long practicing Catholic, committed suicide, rocking this more conservative branch of the family.
* I learned that three of my cousins had been sexually abused as children.
* A divorced cousin remarried outside the Church.
* A cousin's daughter graduated from high school and while my cousin (aunt to the graduate) was at the graduation party, her own daughter went into labor. Her daughter lives across the country, so my cousin flew out as soon as she was able. The baby is breech. No word on how things went.
* Family letters over 100 years old were given to me. One written by my great-grandfather to my great aunt. One containing a lock of my aunt's bright red hair with a blue ribbon around it.
* A cousin who is a nun, is in town and wants to get together to talk genealogy...and we are planning to meet with cousins I have only talked to a few times in my life.
*I've been asked to pray *hard* since several elderly aunts are in poor health.
* One cousin's son is in South Korea teaching and another is in Russia.
* A cousin's two grown children have lost their jobs and are living in my cousin's basement.
That doesn't even include my husband's neo-pagan family!
25 March – Feast of the Good Thief: St. Dismas
5 hours ago