24 May 2010

Lemon curd and clotted cream


I survived my first Little Flowers tea last week. It was quite nice. We had scones, finger sandwiches, dainty desserts, clotted cream, salads, etc.

If you're not familiar, Little Flowers is a Catholic girls group, "based on learning Catholic virtues through the lives of Catholic saints, Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church...the Club strives to bring the Catholic faith alive and inspire the girls to become authentic Catholic women."

I did try the clotted cream, so did my daughter. She thought it was her beloved whipped cream and took a whole mouthful. I only wish I had a camera for the horrified look on her face.

And, there were a slew of etiquette rules to observe during the tea. Rule 12 should be amended to say:
"Have a clean handkerchief or tissue in your pocket in case you need to very slightly blow your nose OR SPIT OUT THE CURSED CLOTTED CREAM."

Aside from learning the virtues, we really need to work on our etiquette.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny, I have never heard of clotted cream--what does it tastle like? I'm going to look it up on the net. These parties are so much fun, we should have them as adults--I love those little finger sandwitches--with the crust cut off and all.

Vincenzo said...

Well the picture makes it look good - particularly the chocolate things.

swissmiss said...

Tara: Clotted cream seems to be an acquired taste. It's like unsweetened thick, spreadable, whipped cream. I much prefer the sweet lemon curd for my unrefined palate.

V: Aside from mushrooms, is there anything you don't like? It was "no men allowed" though.

Vincenzo said...

Let's see.. I'm not a fan of canned beets, brussels sprouts, artificial flavors, tomato soup, cheap chocolates and I don't think I'd like snails, liver, or brains.