19 September 2007

For boys of all ages



Since many folks were listing their summer reads, I thought I would plug a book we bought my son. If you are nostalgic and think being a he-man-woman-hater is cool, this is the book for you. It covers everything from tying knots to historical events. Like a boy scout book on steroids.

A link to the author's website:
The Dangerous Book for Boys

A review by Amazon:
Equal parts droll and gorgeous nostalgia book and heartfelt plea for a renewed sense of adventure in the lives of boys and men, Conn and Hal Iggulden's The Dangerous Book for Boys became a mammoth bestseller in the United Kingdom in 2006. Adapted, in moderation, for American customs in this edition (cricket is gone, rugby remains; conkers are out, Navajo Code Talkers in), The Dangerous Book is a guide book for dads as well as their sons, as a reminder of lore and technique that have not yet been completely lost to the digital age. Recall the adventures of Scott of the Antarctic and the Battle of the Somme, relearn how to palm a coin, tan a skin, and, most charmingly, wrap a package in brown paper and string. The book's ambitions are both modest and winningly optimistic: you get the sense that by learning how to place a splint or write in invisible ink, a boy might be prepared for anything, even girls (which warrant a small but wise chapter of their own).



There is also a book for girls now, too. I haven't looked at this one, however.



Here's what Amazon has to say about it:
THE DARING BOOK FOR GIRLS is the manual for everything that girls need to know –– and that doesn't mean sewing buttonholes! Whether it's female heroes in history, secret note–passing skills, science projects, friendship bracelets, double dutch, cats cradle, the perfect cartwheel or the eternal mystery of what boys are thinking, this book has it all. But it's not just a guide to giggling at sleepovers –– although that's included, of course! Whether readers consider themselves tomboys, girly–girls, or a little bit of both, this book is every girl's invitation to adventure.

3 comments:

Entropy said...

I've heard good things about this book. I'm all for more manly men but I'm not so crazy about it when it morphs into he-man-woman-hater.

My little boy is little still, so I've got a while to see the fruits of this book.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oh, so cool! I gotta get these books for my kids! I've already got a he-man-woman-hater club kind of boy. I always remind him of how much fun he has with his sisters when he makes fun of their girly things and he looks at me like I'm crazy. He can separate his guy stuff from the girly things and still love the girls. Boys should have a club of their own, no matter what kind of funny name it may have. I know it's not really true (woman-hater), just that they need to do stuff with "just the guys" sometimes.

swissmiss said...

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression of the book. Laura has it correct, it is just a neat book for boys...nothing dangerous or women-hating! Go to the Amazon website and you can search through the book a bit to get an idea of what's in it. Also, the authors' webpage is something to check out for more insight.