06 April 2008

Lest I should forget....

I live in a DFL state.

Awhile back, I completed the Mini Med school at the U of M. Of course, they added me to their e-mail distribution list. This was fine until more recently when the embryonic stem cell bill was making its way through the legislature. They sent me some e-mails about the ways I could help the U of M with their research by calling my congressman and reps, you name it, to help get the bill passed (which, unfortunately, it did). I told them to cease and desist from sending me any further correspondence.

But, it seems they have passed my e-mail along to another department and I just received this:

The fourth annual School of Public Health and Minnesota Public Health
Associations' film festival in celebration of National Public Health Week.
This exciting festival promises to bring together diverse audiences who
share a common interest in public health themes and issues. The festival
begins on Monday, April 7 and concludes on Friday, April 11.

Monday: A Crude Awaking: The Oil Crash. The documentary examines how our civilization's addiction to oil puts it on a collision course with geology.

Winners of the school's second annual "It's Global" Public Service Announcement (PSA) contest will be screened.

Tuesday: ¡Salud!. The film examines how the cash-strapped country of Cuba has become "one of the world's best health systems."

Wednesday: Unnatural Causes. This seven-part PBS documentary examines America's racial and socio-economic inequities in health. Two segments will
be screened.

Friday
: Sex Ed and the State. This documentary will examine Minnesota's state legislature and the fate of a comprehensive sexuality education bill. Vintage sex ed films will also be screened.

The film festival is free and open to the public.

*****************************************

The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind.
- Gilbert K. Chesterton

No comments: